Colfax County Clerk
Rayetta M. Trujillo
Colfax County Clerk
230 North 3rd Street
Raton, NM 87740
Phone: (575) 445-5551
Fax: (575) 445-4031
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 159
7:00 am - 5:30pm
Open during the lunch hour
Closed on Fridays
Office strives to protect and preserve the records and comply with state
statutes and the Constitution of New Mexico. We endeavor to conduct fair,
honest and accurate elections and believe it is imperative to treat each
citizen in a professional and courteous manner, always remembering that we
serve the citizens.
The duties of the county clerk are established in the New Mexico Constitution and fall under four main areas:
- Recorder of the county, on behalf of the Board of County Commissioners.
- Chief election officer responsible for the administration of elections in the county.
- Clerk of the Probate Court in handing informal proceedings only.
- Miscellaneous duties such as those of notary public, administration of oaths, certification of acknowledgements, declarations, instruments and protests.
Matters pertaining to elections in Colfax County are handled by the Bureau of Elections, a subsidiary office of the clerk’s office.
The county clerk is responsible for keeping records, resolutions and ordinances adopted by the Board of County Commissioners. The county clerk serves as secretary to the commission and performs the following functions:
- Records in a book all proceeding of the board; makes regular entries of all resolutions and decisions in all questions concerning the raising of money; and records the vote of each commissioner on any question submitted to the board if requested by any member.
- Maintains files of all newspapers published within the county.
- Issues marriage licenses and other permits and licenses.
- Receives nominations and petitions, registers voters, and supervises the preparation of election ballots.
- Maintains the following public records:
- Marriage Licenses
- Deeds, Mortgages, Real estate contracts
- Liens and releases, tax liens and releases
- Subdivision plats
- Probate files
- BCC Minutes, resolutions and ordinances
- Other real estate related documents
Click here to make an online payment!
Clerk's Notice to the Public
The Colfax County Clerk’s Office will not conduct searches (they can provide a list of local abstract and title companies upon request).
The clerks cannot give legal advice on whether the documents you want recorded are correct, complete or legally sufficient for your purposes (Please see an attorney).
The clerks will assist you in any other way possible. We are here to record and file your documents as public record and maintain them for your future use.
If you have any questions, please contact the Colfax County Clerk’s Office at (575) 445-5551. Please be advised that the Clerk’s Office will respond to your public records request “immediately” or “as soon as possible under the circumstances” and no later than “fifteen days” after receiving a written request.