Colfax County DWI/UAD Prevention Program
Ambrosia Trujillo - DWI Program Coordinator: Email Link
Jessica Candelario - Compliance Monitor: Email Link
112 N. 3rd
Raton, NM 87740
Program Mission Statement
The Colfax County DWI/UAD Prevention Program is aware of the problem with DWI related incidents and crashes in Colfax County. Therefore, it is our mission to decrease the number of DWI incidents and crashes as well as reducing the use of alcohol by underage drinking through the following means:
- Prevention, Awareness & Education
- Screening and Tracking
- Intensive Out-patient Treatment
- DWI Offender Compliance
- Coordination, Evaluation & Planning
Increasing public awareness through these means will decrease the number of DWI related incidents and crashes as well as reduce the use of alcohol by underage persons.
Tips to Stay Safe & Prevent a DWI:
- Plan ahead to ensure your safety and the safety of others.
- Always choose a non-drinking designated driver — every time you go out.
- If you go out alone, do not drink alcohol.
- Ask for a non-alcoholic beverage such as a soft drink or water.
- Never feel pressured to drink alcohol.
- If you do plan on drinking, do so responsibly.
- Eat plenty of food and drink water.
- Only TIME can help you sober up.
- NEVER get in a car with a driver who has been drinking.
- Protect others by taking their keys if they attempt to drive after consuming alcohol. They may be mad at you, but the alternative is much worse.
- Plan to avoid ALL substance that can impair your driving (including recreational marijuana).
Consequences of Driving Under the Influence:
- Drinking & driving will increases your risk for an accident, injury and even death.
- In the U.S. 29 people die each day because of a drunk driving crash.
- The average DWI in New Mexico will cost you $5,000.00 or more in court fines & legal fees.
- You will be required to install an ignition interlock device on your car.
- You may be mandated to serve jail time & community service.
- You may be required to attend a Treatment Program.
- You may be required to complete Victim Impact Panel and DWI School.
- You will be required to complete mandatory probation and drug testing.
- A DWI conviction will stay on your driving record for 55 years.
- A DWI can impact your current or future employment.
- Increase insurance rates.
- For more information on DWI penalties, visit http://www.endwi.com/laws-penalties
MOTHERS AGAINST DRUNK DRIVING (MADD): ONLINE VICTIM IMPACT PANEL
- You Must have access to a computer with camera for facial recognition
- Cost: $65 - payment is made online using credit or debit card
- To enroll, visit: online.maddvip.org
- Phone: 505-255-2955
- For technical issues, attendees can call 1-877-729-8548 for support
NEW MEXICO DWI SCHOOL
- Clients convicted of their first DWI are required by state law to attend and complete a 12 hour 1st Offender DWI Course:
- Cost $175.00 – payment is made online using credit or debit card.
- To enroll, visit NM DWI Course